Today I wanted something simple and tasty to munch on with a cup of tea (when do I never want this?!) sooo shortbread was a winner for me.
I love the buttery flavour of shortbread and it’s always been a weakness of mine… I literally don’t know when to stop!
So here is a classic go-to recipe – you can play around with the flavours and be creative, for example switching orange with lemon, or adding lavender, vanilla, honey etc etc… just don’t mix too many different flavours together, I usually stick to fruit or chocolate for texture and a complementing flavour such as orange or lemon.
Enjoy – these are simply amazing! 🙂
Chocolate Orange & Caraway Shortbread
200g plain flour
50g caster sugar
125g unsalted butter, softened
zest of 1 orange
30g dark chocolate, finely chopped
1 tsp caraway seeds
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees and line a baking tray with baking paper
- Mix the flour and sugar in a bowl and then rub in the butter (using your thumb and forefinger)
- Add the zest of orange and roll into a ball shape
- Push or ‘stamp’ out your desired shape, directly onto the prepared tray
- Press in the chocolate and caraway seeds and sprinkle over caster sugar
- Place in the oven for around 20 minutes (or until a light golden brown)