I had a HUGE craving for Oreos a few days ago, so bought a few packs, then realised I’d never actually baked with them before…. SHOCK HORROR!
I know they’re a big hit with ‘proper big cakes’, you know the kind, but I’d recently made the Hummingbird cake, and didn’t really fancy baking another big cake, with the pressure of eating it ALL!
They also look pretty damn good in a cheese cake, mmmm that delicious white filling with dark crumbled biscuit bits, YUMMY! But I didn’t have any whipping cream, only cream cheese…
So hey presto… I’ve got Oreo truffle brownies in the fridge cooling, and I can’t wait to test them…
Just had one….. AMAZING!
The brownie base is a classic (from my previous post Call Me Queen Brownie), the cream cheese and Oreo filling is so so creamy ( I mean who would have thought cream cheese would be so creamy?!) and the chocolate topping just tips you into a fountain and pool of chocolatey madness and goodness and all things wonderful.
Seriously, these are awesome.
They are almost an Oreo equivalent of my Maltesers Buns, but are so much smoother!
Next time I will definitely use some white chocolate on the top, just to add some more sugar and chocolate.
Oreo Truffle Brownies
200g milk chocolate
150g dark chocolate
225g soft brown sugar
75g self-raising flour
100g chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 large pack of oreo biscuits (plus some for decoration)
150g soft cream cheese
150g chocolate of your choice, melted
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees and grease a baking tray
- Melt the milk chocolate and margarine together
- Mix the eggs, sugar and vanilla essence and then add the melted chocolate
- Fold in the flour and chocolate chips
- Pour the mixture into the baking tray and bake for around 20 minutes
- Remove and leave to cool
- Meanwhile, to make the truffle layer, crush the oreos (I usually smash them in a plastic bag with a rolling pin – I find this worryingly fun) and stir these into the softened cream cheese (saving some for decoration)
- Spread this over the brownies and place in the fridge again whilst you melt you chocolate of choice
- Pour melted chocolate over the top of the layered tray bake and sprinkle with remaining crushed oreos
- Place in the fridge to cool for at least a few hours and then remove and cut into squares
- I keep these refrigerated for best results!