If you’re looking for something to brighten up your day, these are the perfect things to do just that. They made me feel a little sad that it’s so cold and dark outside, and not at all near summer… but spring will be here soon (let’s hope and pray!) so I felt the need to bake something fruity and light.
You can substitute the strawberries for raspberries… or any fruit really and just use a jam or filling that compliments well. To be honest these are so easy to bake and are a favourite with everyone! I’m a bit obsessed with fillings at the moment and the jam really adds to the fluffy vanilla sponge, not to mention the creamy buttercream to finish.
They are moreish and you really won’t settle for just one cupcake with your cuppa.
So give them a try… enjoy!
Ps. I took these photos with my new FujiFilm Compact Digital camera and I loved every second of it – I loooove the zooooooom and the focus is brilliant – you can really see the difference in quality!
Strawberry Swirl Cupcakes
125g caster sugar
125g self-raising flour
¼ tsp baking powder
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
Box of strawberries
125g unsalted butter
300g icing sugar
Drop of milk
2 tbsp jam (strawberry or raspberry)
12 tsp vanilla essence
Drop of pink or red food colouring
Handful of strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Cream the margarine and sugar together
- Add the eggs and then fold in the flour and baking powder
- Add the milk and vanilla essence
- Then finally add the chopped strawberries
- Add the mixture to cupcake cases and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes
- Remove and allow to cool completely
- Cream the butter and sugar together adding milk accordingly
- Stir in the jam and vanilla essence
- Now add the pink or red food colouring to enhance colouring
- Decorate the cupcakes with the buttercream and add strawberries to finish